Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Salvage radiotherapy

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 12:09
Any thoughts on my ever changing his mind oncologist now proposing to stop my HT after two years total and not two years after the end of radiotherapy?

Thanks, Ian

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 18:46

How many months' difference would that be? I think your onco is perhaps quite impatient by nature?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 20:36
4 months less time on HT.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 21:10

Well some oncos give SRT without any HT at all, while traditionally it was given with 6 months HT. John should have had 12 months but stopped after 6 because he hated how it made him feel. You are in a slightly different situation where SRT was given despite the onco believing you had micromets - on the one hand, the extra 4 months might be useful but on the other, the onco may be keen to see whether and how quickly your PSA rises. If it does rise, you will be on HT long term so perhaps giving your body an early break is no bad thing?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Apr 2018 at 21:47
Thanks Lyn, I don’t like the side effects of the HT either. It’s true that I and my onco will only know the answer to the question once I stop the HT.

I just wondered if there was any advantage to staying on the HT a bit longer. He did say two years post SRT initially.

The plan before SRT was agreed to was to be on intermittent HT.

if there isn’t a medical advantage to stay on it longer then a break from it would be good.

I’m just really unsure and nervous about making sure I and the medics do the best we can to keep things at bay.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 18:59

A quick update, PSA measured 1/8/18 still undetectable (<0.1).

I am waiting for a sigmoidoscopy as an MRI showed some ”thickening “ of tissue in the rectum, probably caused by radiation damage but oncologist wants to check.

I am due my last PROSTAP 3 injection (for now) on 11th October with PSA tested 1/11/18 and 1/2/19.

Still struggling with hot flushes, fatigue but golfing and walking for exercise. 

I see oncologist again on 15/10/18.

Best wishes to all.

Ian

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 19:06
Scores on the doors good. Long may it continue!

If life gives you lemons , then make lemonade

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 19:51
Fantastic news Ido x

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 21:33

Well done, Ian. It’s, hopefully, a long slog for us all, but latest figures look very encouraging. After finishing SRT last December, my bowel movements recently have become quite alarming at times and I think it must be a side effect of the radiotherapy. Have upped my fibre intake and thankfully it’s settled down. Don’t see my Oncologist until late October, but at one stage I thought I might have to book an earlier appointment with her. Good luck with your next blood test in November, Ian.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 21:53

Hi Ian

Good news concerning PSA and long may it continue.

I had a hernia op last year and the surgeon said that it took a bit longer due to thickening  of some of the layers as a result of RT so it can have an effect.

Hope they sort things for you.

Kind regards 

Kevan 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 22:20

Fantastic!!

Long may this continue!!

P

Carpe Prostatem

User
Posted 09 Aug 2018 at 09:09
Great news Ian, I am very happy for you!

(by the way I had my consultation last night I am going back to your recommendation of "Fybogel" after 3 months of problems :\).

Richard