Show search

Notification

Error

RARP

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 09:39

Hi All.

Day 3 after having Robotic Prostectomy.

My surgery was complicated due to inflammation from previous prostetitus and urinary retention.

My surgeon couldn’t save my nerve bundle and lymph nodes on the side that had the inflammation however, he did manage to save the other side which I guess is good news and makes me feel a bit more optimistic on the ED side of things. Time will only tell.

Im feeling not too bad the only problem I am having is not being able to have bowel movement hopefully this will get better today. I am having mouvicol to help and drinking plenty. Catheter is a pain but to be expected.

feeling ok just wish I could get my bowels moveing.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2022 at 12:48

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hopefully all moves well today

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 09:20
Try prune juice Lindo, my hubby had 2 glasses a day for the first week and then 1 glass a day thereafter and is still having it now (he is 5 weeks post RALP) on Tuesday. He didn’t suffer with any constipation, hospital also prescribed lactolose and senna. Keep the water uptake up. It’s little steps remember and the first 7-10 days were the worst for us until catheter came out. Hope you continue to progress well x
User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 10:47

Hi Jane,

I can’t believe it “The Cespit is empty “ I’m feeling tons better. I need to get some nurse training for my Wife though. My night bag nearly exploded along with my bladder.

I’m glad to hear your hubby is getting better. I’d like to know what he’s feeling Five weeks post op.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2022 at 12:00

Lindo,what size night bag do you have? With the leg bag you should have a two and a half litre capacity, not that you should ever bags get that full. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Apr 2022 at 19:56

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Jane,

I can’t believe it “The Cespit is empty “ I’m feeling tons better. I need to get some nurse training for my Wife though. My night bag nearly exploded along with my bladder.

I’m glad to hear your hubby is getting better. I’d like to know what he’s feeling Five weeks post op.

great news, you must feel so much better and probably a few lbs lighter. Will send you a message. 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2022 at 13:00

Hi All,

just a quick update of my Rarp (Prostectomy) surgery.

I am now 11 days post Surgery.

Before I say how it’s going. I am very mindful of men who are thinking of have this surgery and men who are post surgery.

So, my first few days were nothing short of the most discmorfort you can imagine particularly of the Co2 gas they plough into you to make surgery more visual. Then there is the constipation side of things. I didn’t take at all to Morphine. I was sick the first day that hurt like hell. So I managed on Paracetamol from day one.

So, yes, being bloated and constipated along with the Catheter (I address that in a second) we’re the worst part of the whole thing but once you start to remove the co2  and have your first motion then it gets so much better. Now the Catheter and before I go and further. I hold my hand up to you guys & women who have to indure this damn but necessary implement.

It kept getting blocked which was horrible so you can imagine the relief I had after TWOC (trail without Catheter) you sit in your room during plenty of water anticipating things to happen and the all of a sudden, you go and my god it was like Niagara Falls- which was massive for me as I always struggled in that department because of Prostititus. You have to pass up too 300ml and then you’re good to go. I did this in 1.5 hrs which was a real bonus.

So, what’s it like after you return home.

Well, first make sure you drink plenty of water all day to make sure you flush everything out. You will see blood clot’s coming out every so often but don’t worry that’s normal. It really didn’t bother me that much. What I did find uncomfortable and still do but mainly during the night, you get a burning sensation  (apparently women no all about this with Cystitis) it’s not nice but everyday it gets easier.

Now for the the good bit,actually, it’s not good it’s a miracle. I was dry the 2nd day after the romoval of my catheter.  First day I had tenna pads which believe me are not very flattering. After the 2nd day I am wearing my normal boxer shorts (Step Ones there are the best, by a million miles )

I don’t have complete continence I have what they call stress continence which again women know all about (according to my Mrs) and to be honest it’s just a tiny bit when I cough or sorry ”fart”

I can only put this down to the skill of my surgeon and the fact I did pelvic floor excercises religiously when I found out I first had Cancer, almost a year ago. I can’t stress enough how important they are at the same time, I’m not here to tell anyone what to do.

I feel a bit guilty to be honest because I know there are guys out there that have little continence and guys who have to wear a Catheter for a lot longer. So again, I understand your pain.

Finally ED (erectile disfunction) there is nothing there right now. I’m not going to worry about it just yet. Everything including some saved nerves are all recovering and it is a very slow process. If anyone want an update after say 8 weeks then please let me know. I’m happy to share not just that but anyone else considering Prostectomy.

So, in conclusion, I think I made the right choice. I feel a million dollars and looking forward to the future which  at one stage I thought I wouldn’t have. I feel sore yes but that’s a small price to pay. Concentrate on the fact you have  had the tumour removed that’s the most important thing then, the other things will follow. I’m walking 3-4k a day you will recover.

Take care and keep spreading the word "GET YOUR PSA TEST” to men at every opertunity and never feel embarrassed to do so.

Edited by member 30 Apr 2022 at 13:13  | Reason: Spellcheck

User
Posted 30 Apr 2022 at 19:07
Good to read this Lindo. Wishing you well x
User
Posted 30 Apr 2022 at 20:57

Thank you 🙂