Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surgeon

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 19:55

Hi guys

Our friend has just been diagnosed with Gleason 6 PCa.  He's about to have an MRI and bone scan and is thinking he'll have his prostate taken out providing it hasn't spread.

He doesn't live in our area so we can't recommend a surgeon.  Does anyone know of a good surgeon at Addenbrooks hospital in Cambridge or the hospital at Bury St Edmunds - by any chance?

Many thanks

Carole

User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 22:30

Hi Carole,

Sorry I can't answer your question specifically. However, it might prove helpful if your friend contacts the two hospitals mentioned and asks about the experience and success rates of their surgeons who do prostate surgery. They could also be asked the type of surgery used and waiting list times. His GP could arrange a referral. However, it may be that the cancer is at an early stage and that Active Surveillance might be a preferred option for some time. Until the full diagnosis is obtained and the opinions of the MDT given to your friend, it could be premature to consider a good surgeon when there could even be reasons why surgery is not appropriate.

Barry
User
Posted 04 Sep 2016 at 23:21

Hi carole, this site has very few rules but one of them is that surgeons, oncos and other medical staff must not be named. Someone might send you a private message. I hope your friend gets good advice - as ManwithPC says, surgery may not necessarily be his best option.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Sep 2016 at 11:02

Thank you both for your replies and advice.

I'll certainly let him know.  

With best wishes

Carole

User
Posted 07 Sep 2016 at 18:30
I had prostate surgery at Addenbrookes in May and can't praise them enough - nurses and doctors.