I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Awaiting

User
Posted 15 Jan 2020 at 20:47

Just had a biopsy under local which was an experience as the biopsies were ok but the number of locals was - shall we say challenging. Much better than GA for me though due to other health issues.

i am now of course 2 days later getting anxious and trying to not worry too much but not easy as the time progresses I of course fear the worse!

User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 00:14

Good to hear you've had the biopsy. Have you got an appointment date for the results yet? If not it will arrive in the post soon. Results will usually be about two weeks after biopsy.

Fear the worse, or hope for the best? I choose hope for the best it's just makes life so much more pleasant. I guess I'm just an optimist. 

Dave

User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 01:16
Well no appointment date yet but i guess i am kind of somewhere around your approach fearing the worse, but kind of trying hope for the best but mainly trying to distract myself a bit by doing other things and a bit of work. Its the waking up in the early hours thats the killer! The last couple of days i was exhausted from the whole biopsy and stress of that so slept well but now not so easy.
User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 11:02

Waiting for test results is normally the worst part of the whole process. It generally takes 2-3 weeks for biopsy results to come back. If cancer is found, the next step would then normally be a bone scan to check for spread to other parts of the body (unlikely unless your PSA is in the hundreds or higher, but it's a standard part of the diagnostic process).

Just a matter of getting through it a day at a time. You'll probably feel much better once you know where things stand.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 16 Jan 2020 at 11:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 20:43

I had my first biopsy under a general but the second under a local.  Have to say I found the second one a pretty uncomfortable, and at times painful, experience!

Good luck for the result.  The waiting is always the hardest part

User
Posted 16 Jan 2020 at 21:19
Well, yes the waiting is not great! To be honest a GA was not really an option for me as my polio consultant said to me that i should have a spinal block if local wasn't an option. It was uncomfortable but not unbearable i guess, maybe its the whole fear of what it is to be diagnosed that makes the experience worse. I have had real major painful surgery and treatments in my life but always about improving my health and life not about finding what is wrong..... but i think that is also the difference of being in your teens and 20s and being at the other end of life.....