I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

concerned

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 15:20

hello all thanks for letting me join the online chat ,i am living with a man who has prostate cancer was diagnosed over two years ago he hasnt had radiotherapy just taking bicalutamide tablets hehad a turp? about a year ago ,firstky iam a live in carer for his mother who is 90 robert has seperate carers come in twice a day only for 1hour in total alot more support is neede for him i feel its a very difficult situation anyway robert has been very latharcic wettingb himself also soiling himself he also has some mild learning difficulties and difficulty in communicating i have been quite concerned about himtoday he had a urine sample and bloodtest done last week we are waiting for results he is on anti biotics also as has an infection unsure what i can do or may need to do?

User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 17:01

Hello Robert and welcome to the site.

Can you not approach Robert's carers and ask who you should be referred to for more care.

The problem is, of course, that increased care means increased cost for your health authority/GP so they are likely to be reluctant to do much for him.

Is he weeing and soiling himself because he has learning difficulties or is he finding it difficult to get to the toilet in time?

Is he actually taking his medication, both the Bicalutamide and also the antibiotics?

Is he still under the hospital and if so, who goes with him to the appointments?

I am sure another member with more experience will be along at some stage so just hang in there.

Edited by member 02 Sep 2015 at 18:39  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Sep 2015 at 17:21

Hi Robert,

If the gentleman is under the care of a local authority, he should have a care plan. Therefore, it might be worthwhile speaking to his carers, or the Council direct to have his needs reassessed.

re. PCA related issues, a clearer idea will form once his blood / urine sample tests are known. Again I would let his carers / the authority know that these tests are going ahead (they may do already) as he may need support if called for a follow up consultation with the prostate team / oncologist.

The bedwetting / soiling may not be prostate related so getting the right level and kind of support in place is important.

Flexi

ps. look after yourself too!