Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anxious

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 13:29

I'm not used to forums, but here goes.

My story starts with my sister, who, as it turns out, along with most of the females on my Dad's side of the family had the BRACA1 gene. She discovered this when she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she has since passed away, bless her.

Consequently I took the gene test and I too have the gene.

As a result, since 2013 I have had yearly PSA tests, as men with the BRACA1 gene have  greater chance of being diagnosed with PC.

All was going swimmingly until the start of October when my PS score read 5.2 (should be below 3), a 2nd test a month later showed 4.2, good news? I don't know. GP did a DRE, the prostrate was slightly enlarged, but not of significance for  man my age. (I'm 56).

Anyway I was referred to Urology.

A week later I had an MRI scan, I had the results yesterday, there is an issue and a score of 4, not too sure what that means. 

Anyway today I underwent a TRUS biopsy and  I get the results next week. Had a further DRE and the Urologist indicated the same as the GP.

So anxiety has crept in, I'm pretty sure I will be diagnosed with PC, my anxiety relates to what degree I have it. Having said that i ave had no symptoms, other than the raised PSA score, so fingers crossed for some goods news from a worrying situation.

Hats off to the NHS, whatever the outcome it will be 4 weeks from the 2nd PSA result to diagnosis. I don't know if that's reflected in other parts of the UK, or if it was down to family history. Either way I'm grateful.

The other thing I would like to mention is, for those of you who are about to have a TRUS biopsy, it may make your toes curl slightly,  but I've had worse at the dentist.

I'll keep you posted

Michael

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 14:26

Michael,

No-one here can tell you very much more than you already know until you get your biopsy results. When you do, please fill in as many details of your outcome as you can on your profile, which will help people here advise you.

Click on mine or others for examples.

I’m afraid you are stuck in a waiting game now for a week or two, which I understand for some can be very stressful. At least your PSA is low at 4, which the NHS considers normal for your age (which I do not), and neither does your urologist.

I am involved with a DNA gene-testing programme at the Royal Marsden Hospital to see if certain genomes are predisposed to PCa, as we politely call the ‘Big C’ here.

Best of luck with your results.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 27 Nov 2018 at 14:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 14:37
Thanks John, yes the waiting is the worst as they say. However if the result isn't so good then I'll deal with it, I have the support of my lovely wife and we'll get through this together.

As far as I'm aware the threshold for my age is 3 in relation to the PSA score.

Thanks again.

Michael

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 14:59
When my PSA was 2.2 in 2010 aged 55, the NHS said that was ‘normal’ whereas my urologist, when it was 16.7 a year ago, said he would then have advocated further regular PSA tests, which never happened for seven years.

He said: ‘But I do see a lot of men with PCa’.

A shame my then GP and the NHS were not as much on the ball as he. And that I didn’t know then what I know now.

Anyway, still breathing, still smiling.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 16:20
Good man, I’m lucky I guess, in the sense my sister discovered she had BRACA1 when she was diagnosed with cancer which led me to have test too. Therefore I’ve had a yearly test, hence my MRI And biopsy.

But as you say still here, for many years to come, hopefully.

I’ll keep you posted

Michael