I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 12:11

Hi , I have only just joined your group  I have been told that  I have  prostate cancer with a Gleason of 8 . I am due to see my consultant tomorrow and I would be grateful for questions to ask him regarding this problem.

Thank you

dark lane i

Thanks 

dark lane 

Edited by member 28 Nov 2018 at 21:37  | Reason: spelling error

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 15:32
Download the toolkit from this website or call the number at the top of the page and order a hard copy.

Are you seeing the urologist or the oncologist? Not so many questions you can ask at this point - they won't have your full diagnosis so can only talk in loose terms about which treatments may be available to you depending on the outcome of the bone scan.

You could ask about the staging (is it T1, T2, T3 or T4) and whether there is any sign of lymph node involvement, and whether it is the most common type of prostate cancer, adenocarcinoma. These things all make a difference to which treatments might be offered. If you are seeing the urologist, you can also ask about referral to an oncologist to discuss treatments other than surgery.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 23:13

Hi,  We don't know what tests you've had but if it's only a biopsy you'll need to have an MRI.  Possibly you've already had the MRI.

My experience was to see the consultant only when he was telling me officially what options I had although I had been primed by the nurse and I had no hesitation in choosing an operation.   

I was later told that with a Gleason 8 an op was a good choice as I was offered Radiotherapy, and Surveillance if I had a template biopsy.

Not being sure why you're meeting the consultant I could suggest be ready to be given options of treatment and have a pecking order of preferences in case you aren't offered the full list.   

You can ask about side effects and but it's unlikely you can do anything about them unless you're willing to go out of your way and perhaps take longer to have treatment.  On the other hand you might think your sex life essential and want the absolute best for that.

If you're like me and a simple chap who wants to get on with it, with a Gleason 8 I'd go for the fastest treatment and an op, but that's me, each person is different and you might be advised otherwise.

If you're seeing a surgeon tomorrow he should tell you what to expect and would likely steer you down the operation route, you might ask how long it will be before the op or whatever treatment he or you decides on.

Good luck

Edited by member 28 Nov 2018 at 23:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Nov 2018 at 10:08

Thank you for your reply .

dark lane 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 15:32
Download the toolkit from this website or call the number at the top of the page and order a hard copy.

Are you seeing the urologist or the oncologist? Not so many questions you can ask at this point - they won't have your full diagnosis so can only talk in loose terms about which treatments may be available to you depending on the outcome of the bone scan.

You could ask about the staging (is it T1, T2, T3 or T4) and whether there is any sign of lymph node involvement, and whether it is the most common type of prostate cancer, adenocarcinoma. These things all make a difference to which treatments might be offered. If you are seeing the urologist, you can also ask about referral to an oncologist to discuss treatments other than surgery.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 20:45

Hi , many thanks for your reply.

thanks

dark lane 

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 23:13

Hi,  We don't know what tests you've had but if it's only a biopsy you'll need to have an MRI.  Possibly you've already had the MRI.

My experience was to see the consultant only when he was telling me officially what options I had although I had been primed by the nurse and I had no hesitation in choosing an operation.   

I was later told that with a Gleason 8 an op was a good choice as I was offered Radiotherapy, and Surveillance if I had a template biopsy.

Not being sure why you're meeting the consultant I could suggest be ready to be given options of treatment and have a pecking order of preferences in case you aren't offered the full list.   

You can ask about side effects and but it's unlikely you can do anything about them unless you're willing to go out of your way and perhaps take longer to have treatment.  On the other hand you might think your sex life essential and want the absolute best for that.

If you're like me and a simple chap who wants to get on with it, with a Gleason 8 I'd go for the fastest treatment and an op, but that's me, each person is different and you might be advised otherwise.

If you're seeing a surgeon tomorrow he should tell you what to expect and would likely steer you down the operation route, you might ask how long it will be before the op or whatever treatment he or you decides on.

Good luck

Edited by member 28 Nov 2018 at 23:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Nov 2018 at 10:08

Thank you for your reply .

dark lane 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 20:51

Good evening, as anyone heard of nanoknife treatment? 

dark lane 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 21:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Good evening, as anyone heard of nanoknife treatment? 

dark lane 

See:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12802-NanoKnife

Chris