I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 18:54

Since I had my RP l a year ago I have put on weight and now need to lose weight! I need to take off about 4 stone. I can do only light exercise because of a lifelong disability. So my loss in bulk will mostly come from my diet. What do you suggest, can you help?

In anticipation 

Bert

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 21:40
Hi Bert,

I lost 7stone 4 years ago by eating mainly white meat, fish, vegetables & limited fruit. I cut bread, rice, potatoes, cakes, biscuits, pasta completely and it fell off in less than a year.

I was walking maybe 2 miles a few days per week too.

I'm trying to refocus too as I've put a stone back on since Xmas.

Good luck

Carlos

Edited by member 27 Jun 2014 at 21:41  | Reason: Not specified

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 18:08

Hi Bert,

I suggest you write down everything you eat and DRINK before you start.   Alcohol/fizzy drinks/fruit juices and low fat products are all better reduced if not avoided.  Hope this works as it has for me. Give us an update as to how you are getting on.   Dont weigh yourself,measure your waist til it reduces. Best wishes,E.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 21:40
Hi Bert,

I lost 7stone 4 years ago by eating mainly white meat, fish, vegetables & limited fruit. I cut bread, rice, potatoes, cakes, biscuits, pasta completely and it fell off in less than a year.

I was walking maybe 2 miles a few days per week too.

I'm trying to refocus too as I've put a stone back on since Xmas.

Good luck

Carlos

Edited by member 27 Jun 2014 at 21:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 21:56
Hi Bert I joined Sliming World I went to a local meeting and I lost 2 stones in 7 weeks It's a great diet and very easy to follow I was always sceptical about diets but this definitely works you can also join on line and follow the diet on line ..
John.s
User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 22:12
I'm thinking of doing similar John.

I think the prospect of being publicly weighed in each week will shame me to keep on track too.

I run around 50 miles per week but come home from a long run starving and tend to empty the fridge into my gob. I can motivate myself to get out the door in all weathers at any time but the pull of the fridge is overwhelming.

My dad says I'm a bit of a trougher and he's right. I'm totally convinced that weight control is 90% what we shove in our faces & a little bit of exercise.

I run a marathon every 6to8 weeks and my GPS watch tells me I burn over 4000 calories in the 4hrs it takes me but I think my metabolism is constantly in famine mode thinking what the Hell I'm going to do to my body next.

It's a double edged sword but the running keeps me sane & smiling & I ain't giving up or dropping the miles. My resting heart rate is below 50bpm and always gets me a pat on the back from the GP. It's just the rest of me that's wrecked.

Edited by member 27 Jun 2014 at 22:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 23:10
Hi Bert

I think the first thing to do is drop the word DIET and substitute it with the words lifestyle change, it's not easy but it can work, my diagnosis shocked me into thinking what I was putting inside me, and realised it had to change, at first it was what I called my "bush tucker trial" and yes I found it tough but now it's the new norm for me, out went the dairy, red meat and fry ups, and lost 2 stone and feel better for it, so whatever you choose to do, make it your new norm and stick with it as diets are doomed to failure, just my opinion of course.

Roy

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 18:08

Hi Bert,

I suggest you write down everything you eat and DRINK before you start.   Alcohol/fizzy drinks/fruit juices and low fat products are all better reduced if not avoided.  Hope this works as it has for me. Give us an update as to how you are getting on.   Dont weigh yourself,measure your waist til it reduces. Best wishes,E.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 23:50
Weight gain is something that affects many of us, perhaps due to various treatments and side effects and lessening of physical activities. Once you have put weight on, perhaps through a period of little activity, it can be hard to shed it. I certainly want to lose 3 stone if I can. By chance I was talking with a professional gardener who is well into his fifties but is a very fit man and is certainly not overweight. He told me that over a period of about 2 years he had lost 3 stone. He attributed this to the 5:2 diet (5 days normal eating with 2 days of near fasting a week). There is info about it on the net but one article here:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

Think I will give it a try! Any other members tried it?

Barry
User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 06:49
I have been on the 5.2 way of eating since the beginning of 2013. Was very successful and easy to do once you get into the routine of what works for you. Started HT in July last year and it was still working right up to Christmas. Started RT in Late November and it was only about six weeks into treatment that things changed. Had to change way of eating due only to coping with the horrible effects of RT. Nightmare for me as started gaining weight again after all the wonderful weight loss. But had no choice. Wounds from RT now virtually gone and I am back on the 5.2 again and the weight is once again dropping. This has been helped by at last being able to exercise as well. Daily Pilatis exercise is wonderful for before during and after RT. Hope this helps.
User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 12:04

Good luck with the lifestyle change I am doing the same at present 18st 6lb just been taken off Zoladex after 3 years so thought best time to get started of for a walk in a minute and cutting down on bread,cakes etc ...  now some exercise and Tai Chi 

Good luck to you all

Richard   S**T HAPPENS

User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 13:06

Today for lunch I had fried new home grown potatoes, an egg from my daughters hens, lean ham and a few mushrooms. All free points on Slimming world as long as there is no extra fat. All fried in a little frylite.
My daughter in law has lost (and has maintained that loss) over 4 stone for over 4 years now
My daughter lost 2 and I lost a stone.
IT's not a hard diet to do, there's plenty of choice and it does in fact become a life style change rather than a diet.
Weightwatchers also now works to the same system I believe.
Add exercise, walking, swimming etc and the weight should come off.
Good luck whatever route you choose.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2014 at 13:06  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jul 2014 at 18:05
HI All,

Thanks I have just signed up to slimming world to start eating healthily. Advice and encouragement will always be needed so I will let you know how my journey to lose 4 stone is going.

Look after each other.

Chris